Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 05:41 PM

Question Installing Services on Remote Servers

I have a Build Process where I need to Install a Windows Service, a COM+ Application and a dll that needs to be installed with InstallUtil.exe on Remote Server .

What I have been doing is running my build on the deploy server and it is calling a .bat file on the remote server using the run command that does this for me.

So I have thought of two posible solutions using the Install.NET Services action.

Enviroment is Windows 2003 Standard and Deploy server has VisBuild Installed, remote Server does not.

1. Is there a way to have this install / uninstall services on a remote server from my deployment server.

2. Could I make a Remote.bld file and use the Install.NET Actiopn and place this remote.bld file on the remote server and call the Remote.bld file from insde my Deploy.bld on my deployent server. Would the Global or Project Variables I set in Deploy.bld get passed to the Remote/bld ?

Would either of these work ? Or is it impossible to do without installing VisualBuild on each server ?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Re: Installing Services on Remote Servers

Quote:
Originally posted by Durtybirds
I have a Build Process where I need to Install a Windows Service, a COM+ Application and a dll that needs to be installed with InstallUtil.exe on Remote Server .

What I have been doing is running my build on the deploy server and it is calling a .bat file on the remote server using the run command that does this for me.

So I have thought of two posible solutions using the Install.NET Services action.

Enviroment is Windows 2003 Standard and Deploy server has VisBuild Installed, remote Server does not.

1. Is there a way to have this install / uninstall services on a remote server from my deployment server.
No.

Quote:
2. Could I make a Remote.bld file and use the Install.NET Actiopn and place this remote.bld file on the remote server and call the Remote.bld file from insde my Deploy.bld on my deployent server.
Yes (VBP would need to be installed on the remote computer).

Quote:
Would the Global or Project Variables I set in Deploy.bld get passed to the Remote/bld ?
No, but you could pass macro values to the script (using the Parameters tab of the VisBuildPro Project action).

Quote:
Would either of these work ? Or is it impossible to do without installing VisualBuild on each server ?
Building a VBP project on a remote computer would require VBP to be installed there.