Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM

Deploying MSI on Server 2008 r2

I am running into issues deploying an MSI to Server 2008 R2, the command I have work for 2003 but when I try to run the same command I get an MSIEXEC error 1625. When I run the MSI from the server I have to run it in a command window that was lauched using run as administrator.

How can I alter the run command to run the following command with admin privlages on the remote machine?

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "E:\Staging\CBS\ACE.CBS.FrontEnd.WebSetup.msi" INSTALLLOCATION="TEST" TARGETSITE="/LM/W3SVC/2" TARGETVDIR="CBSWeb" TARGETAPPPOOL="CBSWeb" /qn

I dont want to disable the UAC on the server.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

http://www.google.com/search?q=msiexec+error+1625+uac
Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Not sure what article you want me to look at but nothing here helps solve my issue. I can run these commands on the server if they are run in an elevated command window. I want to run this from the build machine and deploy the MSI.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Administrator

The first result (serverfault) mentioned something about GPO which I thought might help. If not, I suspect you'll need to disable UAC. One other possibility might be to use a scheduled task, but that also requires elevation to create. You would need to ask Microsoft for a definitive answer.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM

I had to disable the UAC which I didnt want to do, I am going to look into digitally signing an MSI in Visual Studio.

If the UAC is enabled but the MSI is digitally signed there are no UAC prompts because its trusted.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by HippyCraig
If the UAC is enabled but the MSI is digitally signed there are no UAC prompts because its trusted.
Oh, I didn't know that. The Sign Code action can also be used to sign MSI files.
http://www.kinook.com/VisBuildPro/Ma...igncodetab.htm
Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM

I will give it a try, I had downloaded and MSI from microsoft and tried running it UAC didnt prompt me, under the same session I tried to run the MSI I built with VS2008, I had to run it from an elevated cmd window.

The only difference with the microsoft MSI, aside from the acutal package, was that it was signed.

I will post my findings, but that may not be for some time.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Hmmm. I suspect the MSI you downloaded from MS doesn't do anything requiring elevated permissions, and that is the reason it doesn't prompt for elevation (and that UAC will still prompt for elevation if an MSI is signed and requests elevation), but I could be wrong.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: