Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2005, 08:54 AM

UR Browser Problems

6/19/05 08:49:41

I have had some strange experiences using Ur's built-in browser.

Usually, I do my browsing in Firefox, and drag urls into UR, placing them where I want them to be. Then, if I wish to store the page thus imported, I call it up in UR, and push the "store" button.

As I am increasingly using UR for my information needs, this morning I decided to do it all in UR, though I do not particularly like the IE browser.

The first thing I noticed was that for no apparent reason, the forward and back arrows lost their ability to move forward and reverse, and I got the generic "server cannot be found" page. This happened before I tried to store anything. I found I could correct the problem by closing UR and reopening it, but the problem would recur.

The next problems were with storing.

In the UR browser, I opened the front page of The Observer. I clicked to the story I wanted, pushed the "store" button, and the web page I had selected had presumably stored. However, I could find it nowhere in UR, even though I searched manually and using the search command.

What I did find out when I used the search command was that UR had stored the front page of The Observer, not the page I had clicked to. I was able to replicate this strange behaviour with The New York Times, ie. the front page stored, not the actual page with the article on it..

So next, I tried dragging the url of the item I wanted from Ur's address bar, and I received an error message: "Error pasting text: Error importing," followed by a very, very long url, and the words "url not found: unknown error".

The work-around for this problem is to use Firefox, and a two-step process to import by dragging the url, and to store, but this is a pain because most the stuff I am importing I want to store in clipping files I have established in UR. It is nice to be able to store in one step, as I used to in Onfolio before shifting to UR.

Apart from the issue of using UR's browser for storing, losing the functionality of the forward and back arrows is a further pain.

Fortunately I can use Firefox and UR without problem, but would appreciate being able to use UR's browser.

Daly