Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2010, 05:20 AM

Lost Clones?

Sometimes I would like to export a branch of my tree/database into another UR database. So I discovered - except for my doing something wrong there? - that those items and subitems in that branch can be exported (by copying/cutting and pasting), but without clones: Only the original items are there, and they are always with that curbed indicator arrow that there is / should be a clone, but the clones are gone!

Consider that you do a lot of work within a "file" / "project", so in a subtree of a database, including cloning within that subtree. Then you need this "file" / "project", the subtree, as a separate UR database, in order for sharing with a collegue or with a client, or be it too big or be it that you want to put it into an archive file since the "file" / subtree is not any more worked on but that you want it to archive it for legal reasons or for other reasons, not wanting to delete it, in case you would like to have some possible reference material in it.

(Or even the other way round: You do a special UR database for a given "file" / "project", and when that's finished as such, you want to insert the whole "file" / "project" into a (much bigger) reference database where there are a lot of such (formerly separated) "files" / "projects" put together for reference / archive purposes.)

In any such a case, it would be absolutely necessary to have those "in-file" clones preserved! I understand that clones outside of such an "exported" subtree could not be preserved (or only in a referential way, some indicators of lost clones), but those clones within that subtree should be preserved since UR's cloning feature is without competition, it's perfect in itself, since clones are indicated and can be shuffled around, and if you do changes to sub-items of clones, the clones will preserve those changes, so it's really so good that you heavily rely on this spectacular feature.

But then, any "exporting" of such a subtree into another UR database should not lose all this benefit (since whenever you want to use clones, you then must ask yourself, is there a risk I'll need this subtree in any other UR database at some time in the future, and if yes, you must refrain from using UR's best feature)!

Did I do something wrong so that the clones are not preserved, or is it a functional lack of the program? If so, could you consider implementing this preservation of "in-tree" clones when copying/cutting and pasting such a sub-tree into another UR database?

Please comment on this, it would be extremely important as I see it.

Last edited by schferk; 12-22-2010 at 05:49 AM.