View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 12:49 AM

As a brand new user (less than a week now), I would have to agree with tfjern: UR is not very easy to learn, mostly because its complexity is not met with documentation. At least not adequately for new users, all of whom may not be DB conversant.

UR is definately not something one can just open and start using productively right off the bat! IQ levels aside - please. That doesn't even belong here! Anyone who tries to equate something as arbitrary as IQ level with the ability to use Ultra Recall and/or comprehend the Help documentation, they are trying to talk through something other than their mouth - IMO, of course. Pure nonsense!

The fact is that UR is not a simple notes application with somewhat expanded search capabilities like Evernote and OneNote. It seems (at least in my current opinion, which is based on very limited user experience so far) to be a very flexible database program with one heck of a lot of data entry, storage, and display paths added onto it. Granted that is a very limited description of a very complex application; remember, I have next to no experience using it so far, plus a one line description cannot possibly do UR any justice! But that is how I see it tonight, anyway. (Tomorrow or next week I'll have to revise that description, no doubt!!)

I did have database experience about a lifetime ago - mostly with dBase III+. I do have Access on two computers now but I have never stuck with it long enough to "get" it. Once it starts hitting me with the various VB dialogs and terms I usually glaze over and start daydreaming about something else altogether.

Right now I am using a whole bunch of different applications to hold the information I gather or that otherwise accumulates - somehow. (Not sure where it all comes from at times!)

I have both Evernote 2.2 and OneNote 2007 and actually have a good bit of duplication in them. Evernote was my primary but since the developers have headed in a different direction with their latest beta, which will shortly be released, and in its new incarnation it will not do what I need any longer. I have been trying to use OneNote in its place but I just can't seem to like it that much. OneNote 2007 is definitely unique among all of Microsoft's Office programs, but as my total data store in it grows quickly in size I can see that it will probably not work for me. With my data spread over all the different notebooks, sections, and pages the hierarchy (or lack of same) is becoming too unwieldy).

Ultra Recall might be the answer for me, and then again it might not. Too early for me to say. Especially as it apparently will take me some time just to find out what all I can do with it.

And, yes - IMO, the documentation could definitely be clearer!

Thanks!

Jim