View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 AM

tfjern,

Coming to UR with an intermidiate level of database experience (dbase) was certinaly helpful, but there was still a learining curve - a translation of UR terminology to terminology that I was familiar with (Folder = Table, Item = Record, Attribute = Field). And a translation of concepts that are still being revealed.

One of the most confusing terms was that of the Document Item until I realized that the Document Item = a data file. Every data file brought into UR (via any of various methods) becomes a Document Item, which is based on the default Document Template.

Another confusing area is that of the Detail Pane Viewer Area, which takes one of three modes:

RTF Editor - as seen in the Templates Appointment, Contact, Folder, Project, Task, Text

Browser - Document Template, includes viewers for MIME and Image (Tools | Options | Documents), and a viewer for documents (other data files, see Tools | Options | Browser).

Search - Search Template, the entire Detail Pane is given over to the Search Dialog

I really don't think of these default Templates as Core Templates, but I understand the need to call them something for purposes of discussion in the help file, mainly I think of the Templates in terms of what they render in the Viewer Area.

Then when creating custom Templates it becomes a question of what type of data you want to render in the Detail Pane for the Item, a choice of basing the new Template on Text or Document.