View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, there's no doubt that the documents in question are linked rather than stored. The document size attribute is zero; the documents themselves are not editable within UR; if you make a change to the original and then synch (ctrl-f5), the linked copy in UR updates.

It's just to do with what actually displays in the Item Details pane with these linked documents. As pointed out, this depends on what Browser options are set. The file extensions in question - Word and pdf - are not in the "show in browser" option, so you just get an unformatted "text" display. But what I wanted was to not have anything in the Item Detail pane at all, other than the "click here to open external" link. It's cosmetic really, I just like to have only the link showing and not see the contents at all (as I'm not going to be working with them in UR, only externally). Seems less distracting.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I found the way to do what I wanted - use File > Import, Files, and then check "Do not process documents for text, summary or icon information" (and of course leave "Store file contents" unchecked.) This gives me an item which contains only the link to the external file.

I guess there are things you miss out on by doing it this way - eg ability to search on the files within UR?

Still a bit odd to get a difference in behaviour between databases when copying and pasting files, as per my original post.