Thread: 2-way links
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 PM

Good discussion...

Don't get me wrong. I like your way too. I see this as a "this and that" set of suggestions, not an either-or.

What we get from my way is that inline links could hopefully link to places within an item.

Notetab Pro has this. You can create hyperlinks and specify where in the destination text you want to end up. I like that; sort of like using the HTML #bookmark feature, as in
http: //mypage.com/page.html#bookmark

What I am suggesting is that the #bookmark be a reciprocal link so that clicking on it takes you right back to where you were within the text of the originating item.

Advantage: a 10 page document. 5½ pages into the document you realize that you are talking about something found in another document. You initiate the two-way link. You go to the other item (i.e., the other document) and go ¾ of the way down and tell URP4 to "finish" the two-way link. Now - no matter how you get to either spot in either item, you've got a doorway. A very precise doorway. You could have multiple doorways at a single sentence, or at different parts of a paragraph, etc.

So - like this:

Marshall went to the store [#1start] and bought 3 ducks and a fire hose [#3end]. Then he went to the restaurant and had a beer with his friends from [#2start] Yoyodyne.

#1start would perhaps take you to information about the store at #1end.

#3end would obviously be a link to something else, but you can't really identify a context from a destination link. It's there, and you could check it out, but usually, you'd be going from #starts to #ends and using #ends mainly to return to #starts.

#2start would be similar to #1start, except this time taking you to somewhere in a text relevant to the discussion about Yoyodyne.

Hopefully this is clearer than mud.

Regards,
Bal