View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM

And now for the problems.

a )

I install ListPro. I does links, but it's ugly:

- Resize it to 1/4 of your screen width, UR taking the remaining 3/4, and you see that ListPro's menu cannot be hidden but will take 1/3 of your screen height, from your list that hasn't thus got not enough screen height anymore.

-There is no click or special click onto an item that could trigger a link when the item has a link(ing) column, but they force you to click on the link itself in order to trigger it. This makes double screen width for this list, or just let appear a little bit of the links' column on your screen in order to be able to click on it, but again, it's really ugly.

I told them about it months ago, they thanked me for my mail, and that was it up to now, but then, they didn't bring out any new version yet, with or without taking my hints into consideration, so there's a chance "tomorrow" it'll be less ugly than it is today (there are other details, like the unnecessary root item that can't be hidden completely, etc., and of which I'd told them).

b )

THE LINKS DON'T REALLY WORK !

In the UR OPTIONS (see above) I changed the "Item command line format" to

file://%DB_URL%?item=%ITEM_PATH%

Then (and I even closed UR and reopened it, in order to avoid setting problems), I put the command "Copy Item Command Line" onto a key combination.

This gives me outputs from UR to the clipboard in the form of

file://C:/UR/i.urd?item=1115,1000

that I put unchanged into the link field of ListPro (by ^v).

This I do for several UR items, and then I try this "linking" out, by clicking on those links in ListPro.

Focus changes very well to UR, UR is activated, resized from minimized state in case...

but UR is NOT "opened at" that precise item, but, in every case, and with all those DIFFERENT links, at the item that had focus last time UR had focus!

c )

So I tried those links with a different program, i.e. MS Word 2003, i.e. I inserted the original UR links into Word and then activated those links there: Same as with ListPro, focus changes to UR, at the last selected item, and not at the item that was supposed to be linked to!

Now you, kinook, I don't see a solution to this. Perhaps other link formats in UR would function better, but then, even this elaborate link format was supposed to trigger the right item?

Perhaps some more adjustments than just the replacement of the initial "ur" with an initial "file" are needed? Links beginning with "ur:" are not processed by third party applications, but those with a "file:" at the beginning are, but then, within UR, the further processing = going to the right item is lacking.

Do I something wrong, is there another setting I didn't put care into?

4 )

Something I wrote to ListPro today: When you switch back and forth between UR and your browser (= by Alt-Tab or any macro key or other), with such an add-on present to UR, you'd switch between your browser here and UR and the add-on there, and just by Windows means this isn't possible, i.e. each switching back will only show UR alone or ListPro alone, not both. So I asked them what to do about this; for them, it would be a splendid idea to market ListPro as such a device as intended by me, since the same concept would apply to many an application, not only to UR.

This being said, perhaps such a coupling with another program could be done within UR, or within a macro (= "whenever UR window is activated, activate ListPro (or whatever) together with it" - I fear screen flashing though...

Thus, where's the trick within the linking formula, please, to begin with?