Thread: Un-Linking ?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 08:13 PM

Deep Outline Ponderings

Good comments Stephen & Ashwken.

Unlinking (Break Logical Link)
I like the idea of an "Unlink" facility as well. There have been a few times where I've done <Ctrl+C> <Ctrl+V> <+> <Down> <Ctrl+Shift+Left> <Up> <Delete> to unlink an individual item. (Drop off the last two keystrokes and that's how I usually duplicate an individual item anyway.)

However, I agree with the direction of your sentiment Ashwken regarding how frequently it would get used. Actually, I get the feeling that the time you need it most is when you are learning UR. While trying to get your head around concepts like copy, paste, link, duplicate, delete, recycle bin you create "logical links" you simply want to break. Figuring out how to do it takes you yet another "awkward" step of learning. I suggest that once the initial (steep) learning curve is over, most users would find themselves in a position where they rarely need it. If you do want to break a logical link - there's a way of doing. ( Subtle hint for title of facility if introduced.)
Quote:
By Stephen
As an aside, I would say that there would be less confusion if copying was described as cloning, and duplicating described as copying.
Good comments Stephen. The word Copy was hijacked long long ago into "Copy, Cut, Paste" land. Copy & Cut obviously flag a selection. The focus of our attention should be leaving those words alone and finding alternative "action" words. Interestingly enough, Duplicate Single is mentioned in my UR help file (Navigation: Using Ultra Recall > Capturing Information > Capturing Info with Copy And Paste), however Copy Single appears in the program.
Quote:
By Stephen
As a further aside, I think it would be useful if copies in the recycle bin automatically lost their linking capability. I often find it irritating that a link persists despite a deletion, until I remember the link is to the recycle bin. If one has to get into the habit of always permanently deleting things, the befefit of the recycle bin becomes partly lost.
Yes, yes and yes. However, for a variety of reasons I propose that only visualisation of the logical link be changed. In other words, behind the scenes data management continues to operate in exactly the same manner as it does now. The ONLY change being with rendering of the tree. When an item is being checked for logical links, it is only considered when outside the recycle bin. This avoids Kinook from the scary prospect of breaking into existing polished data manipulation code and should automatically resurrect a logical link should you bring the item back out of the recycle bin.