Thread: Alarms
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 08:20 PM

Alarms

Ultra recall should give the user the option of setting an alarm for a task.

Kevin's response:

"To date we have tried to focus Ultra Recall more on managing data and not as much on scheduling (like Outlook). Alarms or reminders (like Outlook provides) are something we have considered implementing but we aren't sure that implementing a complete daily task management is something we want to do into Ultra Recall... Currently a saved search can be defined that locates existing Task Info Items based on Due Date, or other criteria (and the relative date checkbox facilitates this type of Saved Search for future use)."

My response:

"Yes, I understand your struggle with this and I agree that you shouldn't try to turn UR into a scheduling program. Rather than re-inventing the wheel, I think the amount of time and effort involved in doing that would be better spent on simply integrating it with Outlook. The fact is that most people are not going to stop using Outlook, regardless of how good UR is. Outlook is just too deeply ingrained in corporate culture and in many companies, the employees don't even have a choice. They have to use Outlook in order to communicate with everyone else in the company. Therefore, if you added scheduling features to UR, you might pick up a few new users, but by integrating with Outlook you could tap into an enormous market of loyal Outlook users, many of whom are actively seeking third party enhancements."