View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 12:50 PM

As a former Info Select user, I'll jump in here.

First of all, if you "attach" (their language for storing file contents into the topic outline) a Word or PDF file into Info Select, the file contents are not indexed or searchable.

Secondly, while it's possible to show HTML/web content in IS, saving from the web and then searching the pages within IS requires many steps: you have to first save the file to disk from the browser, insert this file as a web item in IS (by getting the right file:\\ URL), and then every time you search you also have to check a box to include web page items. In other words, it's too much trouble to do.

These days, the easy ability to capture material from the web is an essential for any information management app I use. While there other tools focused on this function, I like that I can use UR to integrate this with the rest of my data - possible in theory with IS, but not practical.

IS does not allow child items beneath web page items. You cannot annotate web pages. And there is no facility for saved searches or database-wide item attributes.

IS does have its merits. Having a simple calendar, and the ability to assign any item in the outline to a calendar date, does come in handy. The program's drawbacks are very significant, however, and I think it pales in comparison to UR.