View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Mac
I was thinking template for this, but I could not figure out how to do that in a way that would auto-add the attributes when imported. Believe me I read all through the Help file and couldn't find how to have it work at import. I read through your posts to me last year sometime about creating templates and forms, and while those posts are very helpful to me I couldn't determine how to have a template assigned to a folder. Or any other way to have a template affect imported Info Items during their import.
OK, I'm assuming that you understand that every Item has an Attribute called Default Child Template that allows you to control what Template will be used for Child Item creation. And that Custom Templates allow you to add user-defined Attributes (Fields) to the Template - usually best to leave the Default UR Templates as they are and work from copies of a given Template type, ie, work from a copy of the Document Template.

It appears that what you need is a way to assign a Value to a user-defined Attribute upon creation (import of the pdf), more below...

Quote:

BTW, to answer your questions, the value of the user-defined attribute I am adding is text string. If you can remember we once discussed the claims correspondence database I had wanted to put into URp? That is what this is. This attribute is simply Provider Name, with six defined values for the drop-down list. I will also no doubt be adding more as I rebuild this data in URp. And I imagine that it is possible that different types of files may end up in the folders with the PDF files, so the Import Folder idea is definitely a viable one for this.
OK, so the Value that you want to assign to the user-defined Attribute of the Custom Template is limited to one-of-six choices. I would suggest creating six Custom Templates and assign a Default Value to the user-defined Attribute (Provider Name), one Template for each Provider.

Continuing with the "Import Folder" described previously, you would have one "Import Folder" for each Provider Value, each "Import Folder for Provider Value" would have its Default Child Template Attribute assigned to the corresponding "Provder" Template.

Now, Items that are created from an Import to a particular Folder will use the assigned Child Template and the Provider Value will be assigned upon creation.