View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse

I'm kind of confused about the refinement. If an item is hidden, how does it show up in the tree?
The only goal of the idea to "make hidden items visible" is that they still can have accessible child items. If this sounds too geeky to a developer reading this, please let me add the most important for me would be to have them, regardless of if they can have child items or not.

- As said above, the "Hidden Item" would only be hidden in the tree (dataexplorer window), but not in the Child Items Window. So the hidden item itself can only be accessed via the child items window.
- Double-Clicking an item in the Child Items Window normally makes it the active item in the tree: for a "hidden item", this would make it visible in the tree.
- In consequence, child items of a selected (i.e.visible) "hidden item" should also become browsable in the tree.
- The same should apply for "hidden items", which are in the lineage (parent) of the selected item in the tree: it has to be visible in the tree.

The implementation of this requests a dynamic updating of the tree, as "hidden items" are changing their visibility depending on them being in the lineage of the active item.

Example:

Full Tree with hidden items:
Tree
|-Item1
|-Item2
| |-HiddenItem2a
| |-HiddenItem2b
| | |-Item2b1
| | |-Item2b2
| |-HiddenItem2c
|-Item3
| |-Item3a

Now what is visible depending on the active selected item:
Tree
|-Item1
|-Item2 <--selected (no hidden item selected - none of them visible)
|-Item3
| |-Item3a

Tree
|-Item1
|-Item2
| |-HiddenItem2a <--selected (via the child item window)
|-Item3
| |-Item3a

Tree
|-Item1
|-Item2
| +-HiddenItem2b <--selected (expandable, as it has children)
|-Item3
| |-Item3a

Tree
|-Item1
|-Item2
| |-HiddenItem2b (is visible as a child is the selected item)
| | |-Item2b1 <--selected
| | |-Item2b2
|-Item3
| |-Item3a