View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 12:53 AM

Difficulty with Data Explorer navigation

I'm having a hard time rearranging a bunch of folders I just imported (21MB/86 files).

Using the mouse, dragging a folder onto a target location results in the folder being inserted into the target as a child rather than as a sibling. Not what I expected. I'm not seeing any visual indicator between items that would indicate the target move location, so I'm just dropping on top of another folder. I read the help file and am using Shift-LMB to do the drop as is inidicated, but the results are inconsistent. Sometimes the folder moves as a sibling, and sometimes it drops in as a child.

Also, Shift-drag is kind of scary...... select an object and Shift-drag to move it. With Shift still down, select another item and do another Shift-drag... WoopsI You just did a Shift-select-multipke drag-drop-copy operation instead. All the items between the first and second selected items were also selected (as they should be for a windows Shift selection). The drag drop operation then moved this entire selection and started copying it. I don't know where to because I frantically canceled the operation. I guess the bottom line is if you forget to release the Shift key between operations, this behavior will result and this is a very natural thing to do.

Lastly, instead of mousing, I thought I'd try the keyboard instead, but this had it's own problems. The keyboard shortcuts for item move operations as described in the help file don't seem to work. Ctrl-U,D,L,R don't do anything at all.