View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:38 PM

reference-able variables

I was thinking again about being able to batch-modify a number of items, e.g., the Beginning Date of a number of tasks, or the name of a project which serves as a prefix for tasks under the project, etc.

One (perhaps simpler?) way to handle this would be to let me define things as a variable and then reference the variable as needed. Perhaps have a Variable Pane so that I could easily see all the variables I have created, and where clicking on a variable, I could see all the items that in some way call it or depend upon it.

Then, if I change the variable, all items that use it would change along with it.

I can see some possible problems with this, for example wanting to change only some, but not all of the items making use of the variable. I can come up with ideas about how to handle that, but it's a complexity I won't deal with in this introduction to the suggestion.

I also think things like search and replace that spans changes all instances or that goes through all items and asks if I want to change it would be a logical evolution for URP. But access to variables seems like a natural (to this non-techie) in a database setting.

Thoughts?

- Bal