View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM

I see the special character is ¦ in this example, it's 1 find, and it's several items. If I do such a search today, Ultra Recall behaves in a different way from what it did yesterday. Today, I enter the character, single, without quotes or asterisk (and nothing checked from the checkboxes at the bottom of the screen), into "Search for" (QuickSearch), and then I got "196 matching items", because I have 196 items, but about 190 "finds" here are incorrect. I get the same result, meaning "196 matching items...done", for every such single special character today, ¦, #, | and so on.

I don't know which option setting I changed between yesterday and today might have caused this.

I also think that the absence of a global replace function is not good, and users in this forum asked for it in 2006.

But I also think that the way Ultra Recall processes external files, for example image files, just by importing the link to the file into the tree, but displaying the picture in the program, as any content stored here, is extremely helpful, or rather, it's absolutely outstanding: In Jot+, a 330 kb png picture needs 1,100 kb, the same file blows up a Maple file by 2,800 kb, and in Ultra Recall it's almost nothing in the Ultra Recall file and 330 kb in the file system.

Is there a chance Ultra Recall will get global search and replace? I mean, users asked for it in 2006, and it's 2013 at this moment... The utility of such a feature is not only when importing from another program, but afterwards, you decide to replace some keywords with some other, in your whole file, for example "Telephone " by "Tel:" and many more, and I don't think having to use SQLite for this, with the risk of not knowing it changed other things as well, is far from being an ideal solution. (In Jot+, global search and replace is even with regular expressions.)