Thread: UR vs AskSam
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 04:16 PM

I agree that the lack of hierachy makes askSam frustrating. I never liked it for that reason and was an avid InfoSelect user for too many years to admit.

Now I sit on the fence and use both URP and IS. (And ListPro).

I like IS because:

- it is fast and very stable
- I can very easily create new directories (topics in IS) and notes at the point I want in the tree. (UR places things at the bottom which is most irritating, and has no simple one letter command for creating new directories).
- searching is easier with excellent boolean searches too.

But UR is gaining ground with me because:

- it is much better with web capture. (But it would be better still if it matched Web Research which is truly superb at doing that).
- it stores pdfs, something which for me is vital
- the favorites options and hoisting are truly excellent and made Verson 3 a major improvement.

In my view IS failed to realise until far too late that data was increasingly NOT just text based.

Neither of the programs implement thumbnails effectively. For that, one has to look at Paperport. It produces excellent thumbnails of Word and Excel documents and of photos and other media. UR is pretty useless at storing photos. Why? After all, it aims to store EVERYTHING, so why not get to grips with photos?

Now if UR could do the above and match WebResearch for webcapture, (and allow me to create directories at the point I am working in the tree) then I would truly like it.

Of all the similar products on the market UR is the best, but it could be much better.

If only Microsoft had purchased InfoSelect ten years ago we might by now have some really good products. As it is, Microsoft concentrates on all the wrong problems.... despite purchasing Lotus Notes. (Which never quite worked for individual users either).

As for OneNote, the lack of any sensible tree structure, and the concentration on character recognition at the expense of more useful functionality, makes it a major disappointment that may only become a threat to UR in several versions time.