View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 AM

Ramblings

Quote:
Originally posted by TimP
I was actually deriving the impression that Kinook was acquiring their RTF editing code...
Don't know - would be an interesting bar room discussion - when, where and how they made their decision, then some insight into what they actually ended up doing.
Quote:
...but it's no mere trick to incorporate it into the product.
For sure - plenty credit to them for what they have achieved.
Quote:
I imagine that the idea of embedding MS Word was originally conceived to avoid all of this...
Partly - however I feel it was more about a combination of perceived market demand, (everyone uses "Word"), and the fact that one thing MS did pretty well was to provide exposure of necessary API for embedding certain infrastructure like MS Word.
Quote:
...but they've got a tiger by the tail there.
Je ne comprends pas.
Quote:
I sympathize deeply with software houses. Limiting run-away featurism is not only a technical problem, but a marketing and social one. Honest engaged developers genuinely feel like we're "all in this together" but only they are the losers when things get out of hand. Users can just move on. Developers will quickly find that the road to their own special hell is paved with their good intentions toward their user community.
I agree. Funny in a not so funny way for me today Tim. Had a meeting earlier where my good intentions were questioned and I was threatened ... let's just say in an interesting way.
Quote:
Conclusion: I'm something of a pushy user, no doubt, but I'm trying my best to refrain from claiming to need every little feature that passes through my head.
Positive chatter is a valuable glue that keeps UR moving forward nice and steady. Take time to browse the forum and digest previous suggestions/requests. Add your opinion to those suggestions already in existence and bless us with your thoughts on fresh ideas...