View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 11:50 PM

How to Move Data Items/Subfolders Within a Folder?

I am aware of the Ctrl+Shft+Up Arrow and Ctrl+Shft+Down Arrow hotkeys that accomplish this, however that can be very time intensive when moving a number of items.

I made the mistake of right-clicking and selecting "Sort Siblings" in a folder in the Data Explorer. I wanted that folder sorted by alpha and the default sort is by date. The folder has a few dozen data items in it, but worse it also has about 20 subfolders in it. I didn't realize - or probably just forgot - that in UR sorting includes subfolders, not just files/data items like most file explorers. I had wanted the subfolders sorted by alpha at the top of that particular folder, and the data items below them also sorted by alpha.

No problem, I thought. I'll just drag and drop the subfolders to where I want them. But that didn't work; you can't drag and drop a subfolder in to another location within the same folder. For that matter once you try you can't leave it where it was either! It will become a child of whatever item you drop it near. If you drop it into the folder icon/title itself that just causes it to go to the bottom of that folder.

Using the hotkeys to move each subfolder up to the top of the directory takes a long time if there are a few dozen items to pass. I keep thinking that there has to be a better way to do this in UR.

Anyone know what that better way is?

Thanks!

Jim