View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 02:35 AM

It is precisely this user friendliness that I believe to be at stake. Clayton Christensen (2003) calls it the phenomenon of 'overshooting': competition among providers of technology products inevitably pushes the technology beyond the needs of most customers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...56842?n=283155

Therefore, increasing competition in the PIM market may result in what Douglas Coupland calls 'option paralysis': given the multitude of choices, people choose not to choose at all.

I like Ultra Recall a lot, particularly because of its rather unique ability to serve as a text editor/word processor (dictionaries!) on the side. It is the best one I've found so far, and I certainly appreciate the passion and commitment people are putting into it.

But what may hinder its success is the fact that it lacks a sufficiently intuitive interface and, consequently, requires a rather steep learning curve, which may eventually translate into limited market share.

I do hope that Ultra Recall will evolve further into a viable one-stop platform for information management, yet I feel that it is important not to relinquish ease of use in favour of a feature battle that will impress or benefit only very few users. First things first!