View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 10:15 AM

Hi Quant & tfjern,

I'm a fervent user of MindManager since 2003. It's still one of my mission critical applications in spite of Mindjet's deteriorating tech support for the last 2 years.
One thing for sure: neither UR nor MindJet can replace each other due to their fundamentally different design, especially in terms of file structure.

The true limitation of MindManager is its inability to handle a large volume of text. Once the mindmap file exceeds 1MB, the MindManager is no longer useful for any practical purpose.

It is not merely visual representation per se. Rather, with MindManager, you can see and feel the relationship between the "topics", which is not possible in UR.

Therefore, for the large volume of textual data such as Supreme Court decisions and Federal Court Rulings, I store it in UR as a text info item, which will be hyperlinked to a topic/callout in the mindmap file. In so doing, the overall operational efficiency is improved enormously.
The limitation of UR is its lack of programmability. For highly structured data (relational database), I use Access instead.

Ideally, UR and MindManager should be used together.

Armstrong