View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 04:53 PM

Unhappy 5.2 perforce submit doesn't allow wildcards

Depot syntax wildcards are a feature we've come to expect from the p4 command line. In order to use the p4 action instead of a text shell, depot syntax wildcards (/..., /*) need to work whenever they would also work in the command line.

I got the following email from the other visual build user at work, and need to pass it on.

Quote:
In Visual Build version 5.0 the P4 submit command would automatically run a P4 opened command which would allow me to use wildcards in the files I wanted to submit. Now with version 5.2 I have to run the P4 opened card separately and use the output for the P4 submit command because it doesn't support wildcards. It seems like it's easier just to do everything on the command line.

Dave
Currently, I try prototyping some commands with the p4 action, but this (bug|feature) keeps us from seriously using the p4 action. We've gone back to using p4 commands from DOS or PERL, or work around it by opening a specific new changelist with DOS+P4 and returning the changelist number, opening files into that changelist, and then submitting the changelist with no files specified.

Also, it's my impression (although I haven't verified it recently) that sometimes the DOS-path wildcards would work when the depot ones wouldn't. So listing a file as C:\path\to\files\* might work when //depot/path/to/files/* wouldn't.

Best regards and thanks for the fine product.

-e