Thread: more on export
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Export was really only intended for exporting data stored within the .urd file. There are lots of external items that UR can link to, and to generically "export" any of these external sources to somewhere else would not be trivial.
Fair enough. But the purpose of most of my data gathering is for later searching by subject & distributing to others. That information could be a combination of many forms so I have to gather it in such a way as to make it accessible for distribution via HTML or RTF.

Maybe the problem is my understanding of how URp really works. So let's see:

1. I can copy & paste from any source. That data is stored in UR
2. I can open in URp (Link) but the data stays where it is but will be viewed in URp
3. I can open in URp (copy) & the data is transferred into URp
4. I can D/D to explorer, results in #2
5. I can import, i.e. link & view data inside URp browser like #2 & 4
6. I can D/D onto item text to create a link.

-----
I assume that #1 & #3 & #6 is easily ported to html via export.
I assume #3 (DOC & MSG & PDF files) is what export2 is all about
I assume #4 is not possible to export unless it is also in the #6 form, i.e. URL appears in item text.

If I have this right & the export2 situation 'improves' then I would be able to gather all types of data in a search & export2 it to an html file.

The only thing missing piece would be #4 and that could be taken care of by providing user w an option to copy URL directly to item text as well as explorer or give user the option of renaming explorer item & transferring URL & date and a user note to item text. I have found this latter option to be the most useful.

Do I have this about right? If not, where am I going wrong?

And when might there be a more elegant solution to this expport2 thing?

Thank you.