View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Greetings everyone,

Thank you for your replies to this quandary of mine. Unfortunately, neither of the two techniques have worked. However, the idea of using Microsoft Word as the intermediary did show me that the problem lies in how InfoSelect hands off data. When I transferred text from InfoSelect to Microsoft Word, I got the result that I didn't want. Then, as an experiment, I selected and dragged an equivalent piece of text with HTML embedded from UltraRecall into Microsoft Word -- and things worked out just fine.

I will contact support at InfoSelect, and if they respond, I will pass on whatever wisdom I have gleaned to this forum.

Jon, you asked be why I am moving from InfoSelect to UltraRecall. Yes, InfoSelect does have its strength -- and most of its strength is that it was really the first program of its kind that was a free-form database. (I have been using it since it was Tornado Notes.) I'm not a programmer, but I do think that InfoSelect is suffering from the virtual equivalent of arthritis and old age. I think that some capabilities are just constrained by legacy programming. (This not being able to hand off data in an HTML context is an example.)

In fact, the latest version of InfoSelect has real problems with HTML e-mails -- so much so that the program crashes anytime it gets one, and if it doesn't do that then when you try to respond, it will crash then. I guess I am just tired of all the crashes.

One other thing that InfoSelect is incapable of doing is supplying a URL that would link to various notes. UltraRecall does this -- and it does that by a unique identifier, so that I can group the note around and not worry about the link being broken. The more I think of it, the more I suspect that this is related to the absolute snarl that HTML and URL's create in InfoSelect.

And the coup de grace is this: InfoSelect does not, and I repeat not, work well with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Many times when I dictate, even a title to an e-mail, the hand off between Dragon NaturallySpeaking and InfoSelect just doesn't get made. And nothing surpasses the aggravation of trying to correct text in a note that InfoSelect has made. UltraRecall works like a charm with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Having said all this, I have gigabytes of notes in InfoSelect. Three or so years ago I wrote a glowing review of InfoSelect version 7 (at that time I forgave it its difficulties with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, simply because Dragon wasn't that good anyway. Dragon is very good now; in fact I'm dictating this entire post using Dragon.).

But over the past several years, all of the work I have done with InfoSelect has been information copied and pasted from the Internet. But now to e-mail anything is to invite aggravation, and now I am finding that everything I have stored in InfoSelect is possibly stuck there forever because I can't get it into another program without bugginess or idiosyncrasies.

Thank you again for your help. If there are any more suggestions, I will gladly take them.

Virtually yours, Ms.Julie