View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 03:10 AM

I hear what you're saying.

I work daily with a MLS appliation that, during data entry (multi-tabbed dialog) for a Property Listing, provides a series of checkboxes for Attributes of a group. These Attrbutes are available individually for query building, but are presented as a concatated value in reports and export.

For example, for the group Feature_Frontage the available Attributes are: Road, Lake, River, Creek, Branch, USFS.

Sample value for Feature_Frontage: Road, Creek, USFS

A search for any of these three values will return this Listing.

This functionality can be achieved in UR but you're somewhat hampered in presenting a large number of Attributes in a Form (3-cols X 25-rows, shrinking Viewer Area to zero), or you end up with a very long batch of Attributes in the IA Pane.

Some of this can be mitagated by building child records to group some of the choices - recreate the multi-tabbed data entry dialog from the example.

Calculated Fields (Attributes) would allow for the creation of - Feature_Frontage - and available for Form, Print, or Export.

Also, as you mentioned previously, Checkboxes for Logical Attributes would be nice.

Along these lines, I've also seen Radio Buttons used as logical selectors, but the available selections are governed by a "group rule" that requires a selection of at least one value.