View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 03:31 PM

Yippee! I found the way to lose my work every time!

OK I think I know how to lose my editing.

I lost another 5 hours work today so I spent a few more minutes figuring out where I was going wrong.

Make a new word file with a few edits and import and move it into UR.

Open the word file with CTRL-J and edit it, every now and then save the file with CRTL-S in word, then for extra security go to UR and do item>synchronize. At the end of the afternoon, save one last time in word, and synchronize in UR, return to word, close the document, and exit. Go back to UR to check the file and voila - it was how you started out the day!

I have replicated this several times, but I'm still not totally clear what the sequence is. It seems that if you save in word and synch in UR it will work the first time, then after that it updates from the version it had after the first synch.

I thought maybe the issue is something to do with working on a file that is moved into UR but I just tried it on a file with a local copy and it does the same thing.

There seem to be a number of interacting factors, and it doesn't always seem to get caught out but I can get it to fail almost every time. I even just saw it exit from word with the save prompt, and still the synch process was not effective.

[PS - I just had another look at this. I see people above mention the Word temp directory, well as far as I can see when you open from UR, word makes its temp file in a UR temp directory. Maybe this has something to do with it.]

Last edited by ianh; 12-10-2007 at 08:44 AM.