Thread: Relationships
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 02:43 PM

Question Relationships

Are there any plans in the works to implement any sort of hyperlinking system between nodes and/or note text in UR? I have loaded the trial version and this is the one lack that is keeping me from purchasing and migrating from Personal Brain.

Take this example:

I have a new web project, say "ProjectX." In Personal Brain (PB), I add a new child node under "Web Development" and also link "Asp Applications" as a parent.

OK so far, I can do this in UR.

Now, in PB, I add children for all the things that are exclusively children of ProjectX, like the share for the scripts, the URL to launch the web app, etc. Again, no problem in UR.

Lastly, I add links to all the other items in my PB database that are related, or associated, but are not parents or children. Links to batch files that define shares, contacts that may be associated with the app, but are neither own (parent) or owned by (children) of ProjectX. Shortcuts to software frequently used while working on the app (source control, etc).

What I have at this point is a focused work-space. While "ProjectX" has the focus in the viewer, I can single-click (without losing focus on ProjectX) and launch all the programs, files, web pages and email templates I will need to use, update and manage the application.

This is where UR falls down, badly. Instead of just relating items (associates), I have to promote one to be the parent, and demote the other to be the child. For instance, take the link to launch my source-control software..... Should ProjectX "own" the software (project is parent) or should the software "own" the project (software is parent)? And how can I launch all 5-10 items used to manage the project without going back-and-forth between nodes in the tree? See my dilemma?

Hopefully, I've made some sense here. Thanks, and congrats on a great looking product.