View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 11:15 PM

Sorry for the delayed response on this one. I wanted to setup a decent test case.

I created a db and added a Category and Volume item template. Each imported CD/DVD's would be a Volume item residing under a specific category (Music, Data, Archives etc.)

I imported a 4GB DVD and it took a long time (~4 hours). BUt the time was well spent. The content was indexed as expected and now I'm able to text search that DVD without it being in the drive. No other program I know of can do this.

However, there are problems. With my internal browser file mask set to:
html;.htm;.mht;.ico;.xls;.doc;.dot;.ppt;.pdf;*fold er";.zip. Any file in this list I touch in UR generates a file not found error. Removing the mask fixes the problem, but since these setttings are global, it's not a viable solution. Also, with the CD/DVD in the drive, I can't see the content which defeats the purpose as I'd like to drill down into zip files.

Thoughts:
- Make the Volume item type intelligent so that an inserted disk is treated normally and a missing disk is only browsed locally in UR by metadata.
- Make the file missing error optional and intelligent based on the above.
- Display an enhanced item attribute set in the item viewer pane if the disk is not inserted.
-- Thumbnails for images
-- Partial document text
-- Partial text from the keyword index
-- File list of zip contents
-- Music file/Video file tags
-- etc.
- Add RAR support (please... I'm begging now. I have no pride.)

kevina quote:
it might work better to extract the file to some location, then import the extracted hierarchy into Ultra Recall.

This would work for new files, but I have a library of previoulsy archived disks that would make extracting for indexing purposes untenable.

Thanks Guys. Your open minds and support here are appreciated.