View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 AM

As for the replacement, I'm looking into the following:

Zoot, which I used for a long time (for password like info). A 32bit beta is now circulating.

Onenote, for the more project support management that I was using UR.

As for embedding files, I'm trying to see if Onenote will behave well as a page holder for files. Since each onenote section is a separate physical file, less chance of size getting to be aproblem.

I know that it doesnt' search embedded files, which is a problem, although there's some hints that the next iteration will address this weakness.

I have used Web Research (formerly contentsaver) for web page saves, which works quite well. But I need to decrease the # of repositories, which is why I'm looking so hard into Onenote.

Evernote has some of the features of Zoot, but it overlaps too much with Onennote to justify another app. Also, as much as I hate to say this, banking on MS for long-term survival is a safe bet. The smaller shops are extremely innovative, but inevitably riskier.

Again, I wish I could get UR not to crash. And although I haven't lost data through crashes generally, if you're working on an embedded file when it crashes, you can easily lose the most recent changes. And mass imports of hundreds of files and trying to keep them in sync are tricky endeavors; I have lost data "importing" files, then deleting them off my hard drive, only to find that some of the imports didn't stick.

UR is an extraordinary proram, but for some of us, there are idiosyncratic conflicts that, at least for me, are serious enough to migrate out. Most seem to have no problem, so congrats and keep enjoying UR!