View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 AM

1 )

It's even more weird than that.

2 )

Today, again, I lost another hour's time by redoing all my keyboard assignments first, then closing down the database in which I did it, in order to work on other databases that were open at that very moment - just a matter of my memory too strained for memorizing that this was indeed the wrong way to do things.

But then, my memory indeed tends to memorize things I need OFTEN, in UR and in general; where it abandons me, it precisely when it should remind my, weeks or months after I did something the right way, that, here again, I should again do that thing in exactly that special way I did it weeks / months ago.

And since UR's keyboard assignments (and other customizations) are NOT done on a daily basis for the most of us, I suppose, but in a halfway-permanent way, before, here and again, being adjusted weeks or months later, those customizations invariably fall into my "used too sparsely in time for me having the important special points present in my mind to consider them", or even, more precisely, I don't even remember that there had been such points to observe here, in the first time!

And since I'm not alone with this lack of perfect memory, customization in UR should be more intuitive, not being vanishing-if-you-don't-respect-those-very-special-conditions-imposed-by-UR-if-you're-happy-enough-to-remember-them.

Thus, please consider any NORMAL way to store any customization:

a ) store them when the user does them, i.e. when he closes the dialog (= without further asking) (= my preference)

b ) the same, but trigger an additional dialog then, i.e. ask for "Store these changes permanently yes/no?"

c ) set a system variable and ask for that whenever the user closes down that database; then, in case, trigger a dialogue as in b).

1 again )

Indeed, as said before, it's even more weird than that!

So here I lost my key assignments, and THEN, I remembered why I did, so I did it anew, and I thought I did it right this time: Just one db open, and, after the assignments, I closed down that (single) db. Then, I reopened UR... and my assignments were LOST again!

Why? Well, more than once, I close down programs by clicking with the mouse on that "X" on the right top corner of the screen, instead of doing Alt-F4 (= which is equivalent to File-Exit by menu);

internally, clicking the "x" is different: even if there isn't but a single file open, making the program in question closing down, clicking the "x" is TWO steps internally, instead of a single step - but for me as a user, this does NOT become evident; it's another thing I need to bring in my mind first, from a programmer's view, and then, remember each time (see above).

And this first internal step, closing down the UR db before closing down the program, made me lose my key assignments anew.

Now, I'll spend a little hour on my key assigments for the THIRD time today, again by my own fault, but please, kinook, do something about this, it's simply too weird a behavior for any non-programmer who hasn't got and available those programmers' basics in his mind every second of his using a comp!