View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 AM

tfjern, I think I see the database concept that is giving you some trouble in your database design. Seems you have empirically figured this out but maybe this explaination will help you avoid some future frustration.

Code:
Item       Attribute         Value

Item1          TAG          Important
Item2          TAG          Followup
Item3          TAG          Important; Followup
Item4          TAG          Important Followup
Item5          TAG          Important  Followup  (note the 2 spaces between Important and Followup)
The attribute TAG is of type String (for text information). TAG's value will be anything you can type in the Attributes Value box.
An attribute can only have 1 value...thus the value of Item3's TAG = Important; Followup
It does NOT contain 2 values (value= Important and value= Followup)

Search- UR will parse the Value of TAG into keywords. So a search of "TAG contains keyword Followup" will return items 2,3,4,5.
A search of "TAG contains keyword Important AND TAG contains keyword Followup" will return items 3,4,5.

"Auto-complete values from other items" checked- This creates a pull down list of the values that you entered FOR OTHER ITEMS. So the selection for TAG so far is 'Important', 'Followup', 'Important; Followup', 'Important Followup', and 'Important Followup'<<with the 2 spaces. There will be one entry for each unique value in the other items.

Perhaps after consideration, you might revisit your premise of only using one attribute to label (tag) your items. ie add an attribute= Followup of type Yes/No.

Hope this isn't too wooden or too presumptive, I do have a tin ear......