View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurieN

Now I'm looking for a quick way to add each day's date and day of the week under the appropriate Month folder so I can add tasks and appointments to the correct day. I have been using the Journal Entry template for the day. When you insert the Journal Entry template each day, the current date is automatically created and displayed for the title. But that doesn't work for me because I want to add all the days for each month now.
If you have access to a spreadsheet program that allows for auto-fill you could try this:

Name cell 1A "Item Title" (w/o quotes)

For cell 2A enter the date for the first day of the desired month "05/01/2010" (w/o quotes), for UR v.3x you would need to format the date as yyyy/mm/dd, then hold and drag cell 2A downward which should create the consecutive days of the month.

Save this spreadsheet as a text file (csv or tab delimited).

Running UR v.3.5e:

Set focus to the Journal Entry Template, open the Item Attributes Pane (Ctrl-4), click on the IA Pane to set focus, (Insert) to create a new Attribute and select Item Title from the list. Goto the bottom of the IA Pane and the last Attribute should be Title Expression, which should have a value of Date Created, change this to Item Title.

Here I had to close and reopen the db so that this new Attribute shows up during the Import process (UR v.4x may be different).

Set focus to the desired month that you want to import to, select File | Import - a delimited text file (csv), from the Import Dialog select the File to Import (it will see the first line as the Input Field), then select Item Title from the list for the Destination Attribute, select Journal Entry as the Template to import against. In the final dialog be sure to import to The selected item in the Data Explorer Pane.

This could be extended for the entire year, import to a temp folder, then move the imported items to their respective Month.

To return the Journal Entry Template to its default behavior, change the value for Title Expression back to Date Created after the import. 'Course this will cause all new items for the template to show the current date.

It should also be noted that the value displayed for Date Created is controlled under Tools | Options | Miscellaneous - Insert Date/Time As. Depending on your usage, you may want to include a Time value - if you desired to have multiple entries for the same day. Be aware that this setting will apply to ALL dbs.