View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM

After some more trying out UR (and reading those 3 above-mentioned threads carefully), I see / suppose this :

- The "combine text of selected items" function, has it been programmed since it was easy to program ? I'm asking because I cannot imagine a single real use for this function that does not put the items' titles into between those snippets ; we're not supposed to put them into that combined text, manually, at the right positions, then ? So this option certainly doesn't need a QuickOption indeed.

- UR doesn't have any numbering function for exporting / printing items, as almost any other contender has, let alone various options as numbers with dots or no dots, different formats for different levels, Roman numbers, combinations of these... ( See ActionOutline for all the variants.) But then, since there isn't anything, why not make it as explained above, starting from scratch but on the highest possible intellectual level. )

( I know there is numbering within the editor ; that's a completely other thing. )

- It's currently impossible (??? I just cannot believe that !) to retain the outline structure (titles with various indentations, and items' text / content indented further) of a tree / subtree exported or printed.

- Printing to pdf does not do anything else to all this, no indentation, no way to see what's items' titles and at which level, and what's text / content.

- I see TWO solutions to do here in UR what every (?) other contender does without any problems :

- We have the system attribute "indentation level" ; thus, by scripting, we would be able to put special indentation characters before each item's title, let's say #1...#4, in the tree, before exporting ; in the third party text program, we would resolve those codes into formatting and indenting ; text would be without such code and could thus be indented accordingly ; then, we would manually check, and then we would print, from there.

- We buy a contender to UR being able to import UR files ; we would export the subtree to be printed / exported into a new UR file that would then be imported into the contender ; from there, we'd print in the right format, without any problem since, as said before, many such contenders do that all day long, the only difficulty here being to find a contender that imports UR files.

This is WEIRD !

Did I overlook something ?

P.S.

As for my 20 or so items, I printed them two times : First, as they were exported from UR into rtf / Works, without the blank lines already ; then I manually compared the printout with the printout subtree, and in Works, I manually indented all that stuff accordingly ; if there had been the necessity to also number the items, I would have done that in Works, also.

Now imagine a professional's output of many, or just some, such little papers every day, leave alone bigger ones, 300 items instead of 23.

This is WEIRD.

As for the printing contender, it's not that easy, even TreePad does not seem to do it, it's just InfoQube that claims to import UR files - I don't know how that program works, if it works, or if it prints, then, it's been for many years now in a freeware alpha / beta / you name it status.

So, perhaps in SOME / ONE of the multiple UR export formats, the tree structure is preserved, and some contender then can correctly import that intermediate format ? XML / OML would perhaps be a solution, what do I know...

I hope kinook can tell us more as to the possibilities out there to get to professional results.