View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 11:49 AM

More Ramblings...

After posting the last installment, I put some more time and work into this database, following the path of tracking the organization's needs via Item Attributes.

An interesting aspect that I stumbled across is that you can drag a Pane overtop of an exisitng Pane so that both occupy the same position, this will create tabs to bring the desired Pane "to the top" for the position of focus (see the attached file which contains some screen shots).

For example, I dragged the Item Attributes Pane (Ctrl-4) overtop of the Data Explorer (which normally sits as the LH position for my layouts), and the Detail Pane sits full height in the RH position. This allows the Attributes Pane to be exposed along-side the corresponding Contact Record - this also negates the need of placing these attributes on a custom form (discussed in previous post), and allows me to use the default Contact Template with all of it's inherent benefits.

One thing that I have noticed and is shown in the two screen shots of the zipfile:

In the first screen shot I have collasped all the Attribute Category Groups so that the only Group uncollapsed contains the Attributes I want to focus on (this was done at the Template level).

But if I create a new Item from this Template, then goto the Item Attributes for the new Item, all Category Groups are unCollasped - granted the Attribute Pane tends to center focus on the original intent setup in the Template, but this behavior is unreliable.

This is probably a trivial thing, but in this particular situation it would useful if the Attribute Pane retained the "state" that I set it to in the first screen shot.
Attached Files
File Type: zip screens.zip (54.6 KB, 2156 views)

Last edited by ashwken; 12-20-2007 at 03:00 AM.