Thread: Slow?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 PM

Slow?

Hello,

why is Visual Build so very very slow when executing build scripts? It seems to me that a delay has been put somewhere in the stepping code so that the user will be able to follow the steps properly - which is fine, until you start using VBP to do for-each-file steps with several hundred files and so on. It takes a LOT of time, considering we do it 10-15 times for each build in total.

I've seen suggestions to run VBP without logging from a console command. But this isn't really what we want either - we still want to be able to follow the build process and pause/continue it properly if something isn't right.
We simply would like it to perform steps much faster.

As I see it, the sluggishness can't be the result of computationally expensive steps, but rather a delay (sleep or similar) put in the stepping code to prevent the build process to run incomprehensibly fast. It seems strange to me that the very trivial operations that VBP perform would take several hundred milliseconds to complete.

The consequence of this slowness is that we're continually moving steps out of the build process into Python scripts that perform well. Ultimately this might cause us to move away from VBP due to it losing its role as a vital part in the build process.