View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 01:15 PM

This is may be not just a coincidence ...

I arrived here at the form today to vent out my frustration and this love-hate relationship with UR. I love it 99% of the time and I hate it when it just disappears or start throwing this AV errors.

I do not want to complain, but I do want to scream load enough for the kinook team to hear us and do something about it.

I had a presentation today I was given out for people at the company. For some reason (and it was a bad one) I decided to user UR to put most of my presentation references. In about 2 hours, it threw 3 AV errors and disappeared once. As much as I got conditioned to expect this, I always hit control+s obsessively since I know it will crash at some point or another. In one of these instances, it crashed before me hitting KB to save it. Even though I did not lose a lot, I just did not remember what is it that I was working on since my last save. It was a text addition/update somewhere, this is all I remember.

I do not remember the UR work flow that precipitated these crashes. it catches me while my attention is so much focused on something else. There is no way for me to be attentive to every click, event, move I perform in UR to tell something you can reproduce.

However, I can tell is almost most of my crashes, it was related to some of these maneuvers ...
- closing tabs.
- Multiple tabs containing web sites or pdf docs.
- Organizing a group of nodes in the tree, specially deletes.

So, kinook, please tell me something new this time. Do not tell me to send you anything because I can't...
- It is all private and corporate confidential stuff
- I can not tell you how to reproduce it.

Also, do not tell me that you have not experienced these crashes. And please DO NOT TELL me to keep number of tabs minimal. I can not believe for a moment that you are not aware or seen these issues.

I do not know what else to say... but let me make some suggestions...

- IMPROVE the Instrumentation of your code to better handle these unexpected exceptions. Truly, the VERY BARE minimum you can do is trap these exceptions as they occur and have UR generate an exception report that can be e-mailed to you. So many apps do this already. I know your time and resources are limited. But BELIEVE me, most if not all users will be fine if you freeze all new features. Take your time to write this and build it into UR.

- please open up you beta testing program to allow us to participate in it. At this point, I personally do not trust your existing beta program. It has proven to be insufficient.

- Freeze all new features. I do not want a single feature added to it. Focus on fixing these major stability issues.

- Hire a software QA person for a short-term contract, may be 6 months. Having work for you full time till it is fixed.

Last edited by cnewtonne; 08-18-2007 at 01:23 PM.