View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 AM

1 )

That was a quick answer, thanks! So I tried, but triggering those shortcuts, even by clicking with the mouse there (just for trying), takes several seconds (ok, I have a Pentium 725, but all those netbooks out there need good response time also), and for more than just a few files...

No, even for just a few files, going directly to those files, by macro program / launcher, would be the better idea, but not by those desktop links to items (!) within those files.

No, finally, juggling with dozens of tabs in the taskbar is awful, but at least, I could swap by control-alt (= 1 key in my system), and for any switch to the IE8, there would be a direct launch from macro, not per alt-tab.

Of course, real probs start when I want to go back to UR since now, one of the two UR files has been thrown out of the in-UR-toggle and has to be accessed by mouse-click again.

But I could live with such a scenario for some months, I hope, it's better than continuous mouse-clicking (= not only clicking, but moving the mouse first...).

2 )

As for the inbuilt toggle, I said, technically it would be entering the current file name into a system variable. In fact, that was a non-technical description in order to not complicate things, the technical solution would be this, and the triggering would be made on ENTERING any UR file:

- have a system variable lvd[3] (lvd standing for lastvieweddatabase)
- have a command "GoToLastViewedDatabase", assigneable to a shortcut

a) on every entering of a UR file, some lines of code would do this:
- put the current filename into lvd[3]
- put lvd[1] into lvd[2]
- put lvd[3] into lvd[1]

- thus, the current file's name is in lvd[1], the previous one's is in lvd[2]
- of course, lvd with 3 places could be with 2 places instead, lvd[3] being replaced by a local variable, but it's more elegant to have even the necessary double-switch within the system variable needed anyway

b) on every command "GoToLastViewedDatabase", some lines of code would do this:
- read lvd[2]
- show / go to that file lvd[2] (load it if necessary, or just switch)
- and a) is triggered here, as it is by any switching to / opening a .urd file by whatever means (^o, mouse...)

As a (tremendous) programmer you know this much better than I do, it's just for reminding you how easy it would be to implement, not even 1 hour (!), for a very big enhancement of UR's functionality...!

Thus, might this be possible medium-term?

(And a sorting of the loaded files would be handy, since today, for having them sorted, you must manually sort them on paper before loading them, and then, when working, and adding additional files to your bunch, it's all cluttered again, though.)

Or, even a MANUAL re-arrangement (= on top of that, or instead of that) would be handy: Then, the PrevFile / NextFile commands could alternatively do the work of toggling between given files (that you'd have to rearrange side-by-side for that, so that might be an additional option, not the long-term solution to avoid the above-mentioned 1 programming hour all in once)...