Thread: UR vs AskSam
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 AM

I use askSam and have built very large knowledge bases and information stores using it. The program is worth learning and it certainly has its quirks, but searching (either simpe or complex) is very fast. Importing, exporting and reporting are also fast (speed in my opinion is NOT one of UR's strengths), but I have found importing to be unreliable. Version 6 introduced "folders" but these are not what one would commonly understand. The "folder" tree is not able to be manipulated, so for me there is no functional improvement over version 5. There have been reports of the folder display producing some instabilities. Tech support via the askSam forum is, well just go there and see for yourself.

There is no cloning, and the interface is rather dated. Version 7 improves on the interface, but I don't see anything that would compel me to return to using the program on a daily basis.

InfoSelect comes close to UR and tremendously surpasses it in speed, but it has bugs and the developers are unresponsive. InfoSelect also is quirky and relies on system RAM for database storage which is another story. I do like it though.

By the way, both of these programs date back to the DOS days (and it shows).

Jon

Last edited by Jon Polish; 01-10-2008 at 06:50 PM.