View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 03:45 PM

Unfortunately, "Tree order" does NOT show the search results in tree order.

I have a tree with thousands of items, the hierarchy of it not being very deep. Then, I search for a search term which occurs quite often, but not too often, let's say some dozens of times; I have got the columns Tree Order and Item Title, and I sort by Tree Order, the indicator symbol there "going up".

Then, I get many results "-1", then many results "0", many results "1", and so on, even some results "30", and it's just the very last results in the list which only show a non-repeated number, up to "159"... whilst there are thousands of items within the tree.

Then, I check the real tree position of the results, one-by-one, for some of them, and it becomes obvious that the result list is NOT in tree order, even for non-equal numbers, i.e. many "lower" numbers (which, as said, come first in the list) are references to items much later in the tree.

Hence:

1) I don't understand what this "Tree Order" does, after all; could you explain why I see what I see (and have described above)?

2) My problem, that I need to "filter the tree", i.e. must get "search results" in tree order, is not resolved, with "Tree Order" alone at least; how would I do it then?

(EDIT: To specify this further: You said once, "The Lineage column will show the tree hierarchy. This [= There, supposedly] is also an Indent Level attribute that can be displayed." - I don't need the hierarchy, nor the indent level, but I need the the results in the order they should appear when the routine "reads" the tree from start to finish, following the depths;

without having checked this in real, the weird numbers I get in the example above seem to indicate that your routine, by "Tree Order", might (?) follow the tree on indentation level 1 from top to bottom, then on indentation level 2 from top to bottom, and so on? But anyway, my tree is quite flat, I nowhere have items beyond indentation level 5, or, perhaps in very rare cases, 6, whilst getting much higher numbers than that. I can't explain how those numbers are "calculated" then.

You also said once, "It isn't possible to filter the tree in that way, but you can show and sort on the Hierarchy and Tree Order system attributes / columns in search results to display the hierarchy there.", but there isn't a "Hierarchy" attribute/column it seems.

And another thought: Might I have encountered a bug in "Tree Order" sorting since there are too many items to search in and/or too many results; would the order possibly be correct if the record set was just several hundreds of items, and some 2 dozens of search results?)

Last edited by Spliff; 12-08-2021 at 04:01 PM.