View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TMF
I of course can't speak for Kinook. But their licensing striked me the first thing, it's clearly targetted at business users, not at shareware developers.]
Not necessarily. The license is simply based on the number of users. At $1.60 per license, purchased in bulk, that would have a negligible effect on the end-user pricing for UR.

Quote:
It would mean disclosing the number of UR users (pretty valuable data).
Eh....come on. I don't think the developers of XStandard are going to run around posting the number of licenses sold to Kinook on some public forum! And I don't think anyone outside of Kinook really cares. If anything, publicizing lots of users is good PR for a software company. Many companies make a big deal about stating how many users they have.

Quote:
It would mean locking in a third party control by investing a lot of time into incorporating it. Yet at some point in the future, new decisions will be made and it will be decided that now it's crucial for the xhtml editor to be incorporated for all users. Which means you either lost the development time, or lot of money because now you need to pay for hundreds more licenses.
First of all, it's not a lot of time. If you look at the Visual C++ integration instructions on the XStandard website, it looks like it would take about 15 minutes of programming time to integrate it.

Next, I suggested that they include the Lite (Freeware) version of XStandard with all copies of UR sold. There's no downside to this. It's free, it's easy to integrate and it would immediately provide XHTML editing capability to all UR users. Any user who wants the additional features provided by the Pro version could pay for the XStandard Pro license. I believe the component is identical. It's just a matter of unlocking the Pro features.