View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 AM

Storing and Working on UR files in the "Cloud"

As you may have already read, in the next few weeks Google Docs users will be able to upload and store large files online (up to 250MG -- some of my URs are this big).

There are other options available (DropBox, Box.Net, Microsoft Live Mesh, etc.), but it would be nice if we could avoid the headache / chaos of moving large files between computers, using and losing USB sticks, synchronizing confusion, etc., and keep all our large UltraRecall databases in one place (in the "cloud"), and then access them from whichever computer we are currently using at the time, and work on them while online.

Ignore for a moment privacy issues, worries that the Internet may suddenly crash, Google going out of business after being bought and destroyed by China, 2012, WWIII, etc.

I upload my large UR databases into the cloud, where they are stored, and they can be accessed AND WORKED ON from computers to which I currently have access.

The problem with Google Docs, is this from Vijay Bangaru, Google Docs product manager:

"Just because users will be able to store any type of file on Google Docs doesn't mean, however, that they will necessarily be able to work on those files on the Docs cloud, as is possible in the Google suite today with Adobe PDF files, Microsoft Office files and, of course, the native Docs file formats."

"Unfortunately, it's not possible to write Web editors for every file content out there," he said. In those cases, users will be able to access the files online and share them with others, but in order to work on them, they'll have to download them to their PCs and fire up the necessary application.

Kinook, is there any way you could write a Web editor (whatever the heck that entails), so we can realize the dream of storing / working on our beloved and large UR files in one place? I am holding my breath.

Last edited by tfjern; 01-13-2010 at 02:26 AM.