View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 03:42 AM

slow launch culprit found (sort of)

Turned out reinstalling Windows didn't really solve the issue. Ultra Recall was quick to launch when Win 7 was fresh, but soon the slow launch I observed the last few days crept back. After many trials and errors, I've finally pinned down the cause, sort of.

It's a combination of intel's RST driver ver. 10 and Realtek's LAN driver ver. 7 that causes UR's launch delay. I've tried 3 different versions of RST, including the current official version (10.1.0.1008), a newer WHQL version, and the newest beta (the latter two from station-drivers.com). I've also tried two different versions of Realtek LAN driver, including the one on Asrock's web site (my motherboard is Asrock P67 Extreme 6), and the newest official release from Realtek's web site. The results were all the same. I couldn't try older versions of RST; they refused to be installed on a P67 board.

No wonder I saw the problem quickly after I started rebuilding the system; the drivers are among the first things installed with a new system.

Now, I can't pin the blame squarely on either driver, for installing one of them alone would be no problem. There's serious delay at UR launch only after both drivers have been installed.

For the moment, I've removed the RST driver since I would lose my network connection without the LAN driver. Windows 7's native AHCI driver seems to work ok, though it's generally recommended to go with the RST driver when using an intel SSD on an intel chipset-based motherboard.

I surely hope someone with similar hardware would test it out, thanks.