View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 01:16 PM

UR Just Disappeard and so am I.

I was working with UR today and had about 10 tabs open. There was a duplicate tab open and when I attempted to close it, UR in its entirety JUST disappeared.

It was gone, no error, no warning, nothing. I have no idea why and what and where it went!!!!!!!!!!!

I purchased UR about a year ago now. Back then, I loved its features but it was not stable enough for hard-core editing work. I had AV errors, crashes, and so forth.

When I checked it out with its new release (3), I said to myself I will give it another try. I was all over it. Exploited it to its fullest features and put it to the real test. For the past few weeks, I did most of my work in UR. I can not tell you how much I loved its features. I just could not resist.

Then I started migrating my years worth-of-work to it. A process that took a whole week. All along, I was getting these nasty AV errors but ignored them and I said 'I got to live wit it' and so I did.

I then saw other users post issues about missing data, crashes, errors and, again, said to myself, 'not me. This will not happen to me.' so I convinced myself.

Today, with this culmination of errors when UR decided to un-respectfully and rudely terminate itself, I felt pretty much insulted.

It took me a while to decide if I should move to UR or not. A process that consumed a good deal of mental and physical work on my part.

Now, however, I think I had enough. The issue is no longer that difficult and I'm letting go of UR. Not a year ago and still not now.

I'm not saying this product is not good in general. It is not for my kind of use as a power user. May be for someone who treats it gently for few notes here and there.

I have written at least 3 reviews recommending it for other users. I have always ranked 2nd to MyBase. I think I can still do the same and I do not regret making such recommendations. I still believe in it, its potential, and the ability of its developers. However, there is not consolation on earth that will make me feel good if I loose a single piece of data because of it.

Kinook must come up with a way to make this app stable. Using sqlite DB engine is pretty assuring. The GUI, the tabs, the tree, ...etc are all elements that have added some heavy weight on top of its DB engine. Furthermore, it has made it unstable. To keep all these elements in sync as you perform major operation like moving, updating editors, notes, properties is no easy task by all means.

You support is excellent and you are on top of these issues. However, to keep telling your users to upload their files is not practical. Most of the time, it is private data. If your users keep telling you the same, why not devise a different way to debug and receive application errors. Otherwise, you will be asking users to send it, and they will refuse and the thing goes on forever.

You can see that my posts have proliferated in the past 2 weeks after an almost a year long absence. I even made my purchase just yesterday and I truly do not feel sorry about it. After all, you deserve every penny you earn at least for the time you spend addressing the forum posts.

I want to thank you for all your replies. I'm so sorry that I have reached this conclusion since I was truly hoping otherwise. I will put UR to sleep for now as it rudely wanted to. I will be watching out for your future releases as I will always be a big fan of your work.

Thank you.