View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 AM

while this is not a bad suggestion, I dont like the fact that UR would prefer to support one chat/calling soft over another, in the same way the microsoft tries hard for only internet explorer and outlook to be used. For that reason, I dont like that UR supports outlook but not thunderbird or any other email client. While I understand that they try to cater most users, it only creates further dominancy of the given soft even though it's not slightly better than some other options.

Anyway, imho, kinook should first concentrate on the 'core' features of UR. Their description of UR:

"Ultra Recall is information, knowledge, and document management software for Microsoft Windows. It helps you capture, organize, and recall all of your electronic documents and information across all the applications that you use."

Now that you can add internal links, one should be able to see all the links pointing to a given item. That creates further challenge cause there are already child items, so it needs to be somehow distinguished. Also, I would like to really create a linked item, not a copy of an item. I know this has been discussed, but as it is now, it's impossible to see where the real item is, and what is only supposed to be a link. So there could be three different things:
- internal links
- linked items (item having only one parent but linked to many items, unless the item is of the last form)
- item having more than one parent (the current representation of linked item with shortcut icons)

Having now various connection levels in the tree, it is crucial to navigate it more efficiently because the tree structure then becomes very poor representation of the different relations between the items. I wont name the softs that already have this feature of data structure visualization.

imho, the above is the MOST CRUCIAL feature that UR needs to address.

If I had to name the second, it would be "proper organizer". It comes straight from what UR claims to do. If you organize your documents and knowledge, shouldn't you be able to organize your time efficiently as well? That's why I think UR needs a proper organizer with a calendar where you can see all your items for a given day (or inside a particular day), with many more recurrent and reminder options ...

While all the above might sound somehow critical, I just want UR to progress, and let me add that I'm a very very happy user of UltraRecall