View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 11:51 PM

important features still not yet available???

Hi Kinook

The one crucial function still missing for me is fully empowered search - and an important but not so crucial one of internal hyperlinking.

I agree that Kinook have provided a sophisticated means to construct and save searches - yet I find the process of creating such searches really tiresome - and its put me off I must admit. Take a look at what InfoSelect provide - its very fast and very powerful - yet UR could be much better as it indexes even documents external to itself whereas IS does not.

I find that I am only happy when search enables:

1. ability to construct boolean searches as a single potentially complex string in a search box - including phrase searching, and parentheses to group and/or combinations - and ideally NEAR and NEXT operators.

2. Highlighting all the hits in each document (with ideally navigating to the first hit in each found document).

I think search is the real achilles heel in UR - still. I truly hope there will be a big leap here soon.

Also, looking at the new OneNote 2007 Beta 2 - it has an exceptional internal hyperlinking capability. It enables the context menu copying to clipboard of links to notebooks, sections, pages, locations in documents etc - and gives the link the user friendly name, rather than the path. This is a truly outstanding feature - and one I dearly wish could/would be included in UR. It provides an exceptionally potent means to create a highly productive navigational structure to even a huge infobase. It also enables this for saved web pages, as they are imported intact with all the formatting, images and so forth, and immediately editable, so locations/words/phrases/paragraphs in saved web pages can be linked to a master topic page - or to a location in another document etc... fantastic!

What do others think? - and what are Kinook's intentions re search improvement and adding internal hyperlinking to the list with some timeframe intention?

Regards, IJG