Thread: Auto linking
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 04:45 AM

That's very helpful and gets around some of my problems.

However, it doesn't solve all my problems. The key difference between autocategorisation (auto-linking) and your using saved searches is that with autocategorisation for you can choose to assign childen to an item either manually or by automatic search, but with saved searches you can't manually asing an item to a search folder. As you suggest you can add a search term to every item that you want to add to the search folder, but this rather undermines the cloning/linking functionality of UR. I suspect, using your model I'll end up not using the Data Explorer architecture much and end up creating a parallel architecture of saved searches.

I'll play around some more to see whether this is what happens. But my guess is that I would still like to see UR with autocategorisation. Perhaps what I am looking for is the option to configure a saved search as part of an ordinary item template. This would then mean that I would need to see both a Child Items and a Search Results window for that item - or ideally a single window in which the two were seperable using columns.