View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dedebaykus
All I want is when I drag and drop onto a branch I want the new item to inherit the template setting. Now it does not because some comes as document some comes as text etc. For example the url content I paste from Firefox is accepting my template but not the ones I copy paste from thunderbird, which in return makes the content management harder.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Thunderbird, I'm running Outlook in which UR provides a couple of Send To options (Copy or Link) as buttons that allow me to "shoot" emails into UR, these emails are seen by UR as a Document (MIME data file, creates an Item based on doc type template).

If I select content within an email body, then copy/paste this selected content into UR, the content is handled (identified) by the clipboard and seen as Text by UR (creates an Item based Text type template, rtf).

How UR will see an Import depends on both source and method - whether or not the Import has a URL (data file).

For example:
From Windows Explorer, for a file *.txt, if I drag/drop or copy/paste this file into UR a Document Type Item will be created. In the case of this text file, even though this Item is based on the Document Template, it's content is still editable in the Detail Pane Viewer Area.

From Windows Explorer, for a file *.txt, if I Open this file in Notepad and copy/paste the content into the UR tree, then a Text Type Item will be created.

If I wanted to apply the same Attributes and Form to both Item Types (Document and Text), there are two pathes available.

I could manipulate the default UR Document Template - assign Attributes and Form, and create a new Text Template - assign Attributes and Form.

This would allow me to assign a specific Template (Text) as the Default Child for an Item, and ALL data Imports (except MIME) would be based on the modified Document Template. Because I've modified the default UR Document Template this solution would be for a specific UR database.

Otherwise,
I need to create new Templates for each Item Type,

then either segragate your imports - allows for Default Child Template assigment (then Move),

or apply a Template (of the same Type) to a selection of Items after import.