View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Sigh!

No, $bill, I didn't mean that. How about trying to put yourself in your reader's shoes and post something simple like this?

"For additional help in learning how to use UR, check out the seven sample databases at (typically)

C:\Program Files\UltraRecall\Samples. If you are using Vista, go to Start / then Computer / then blah-blah-blah."

By the way, I don't think these samples databases are of much value. What we need -- and here's where Kinook's new contest may prove to be a big help -- is something simple and step-by-step, along these lines:

"Do you want to link or store webpages from the Internet into your UR database? Well, first, blah, blah, blah. Then, blah ... Finally, blah, ..."

The rule of thumb is to keep everything as simple, concise, and precise as possible. As I said, put yourself in the reader's shoes. Don't assume he or she knows what you know. All this seems ridiculously obvious, but apparently it's a lesson many people who write software manuals fail to learn. Cognitive learning style differences, most likely.

I recently bought a new Canon digital camera, and its manual is magnifico.

Well, I'd better start putting my money where my big mouth is, but Kinook's contest deadline (late August) doesn't give us much time.

Last edited by tfjern; 07-08-2008 at 10:59 PM.