View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 AM

Freezing During Web Page Capture

Earlier today I ran into a little problem with UR. I had attempted to capture a web page, a software purchase receipt on the Digital River web site. Running Windows XP Pro and browsing with Firefox 3, I clicked on the "Copy to Ultra Recall" Firefox extension button, but the telltale "ding" wave file that signifies a completed capture never played. I opened the UR window to see if perhaps I had just missed the alert and it was apparently still in capture mode: a new child in the "Imported Items" folder showed the Digital River page title and icon, but the Detail page was blank and the cursor was an hourglass. I decided to leave it alone for a minute or two to give it more time, but then my machine started slowing down quite a bit.

The Windows Task Manager showed two entries for UR as "Not Responding": one was UR and the other was explorer.exe, as is usually the case when an application stops responding in Windows. But the CPU usage was annoying so I decided to abandon that capture - figured I would capture it with something else. But I could not stop it, could not selete the item. Also could not close UR - even End Process in the Task Manager would not work. I finally opened another utility I have that permits me to kill any running process and shut UR with it.

I reopened UR and naturally clicked on that item to see if anything at all was captured, and then to delete the child item. Same problem - hourglass, stops responding, had to kill it the same way. Happened twice more before I just deleted the item without first trying to look at the detail pane. I had really wanted to see if that gave any hints as to what happened. But I gave up.

Since then UR has been working normally. Has anyone seen this or something similar?

Thanks!

Jim